Sep 16, 2009

Uncompromising Health Care would be such a gift

Damaged Patient - Madalie - 2005




I used to make Art Dolls. I had an obsession with medical personal and surgery mistakes. I think I would have loved to be a doctor or a surgeon but I have a problem with the inside of any body and a huge problem with death. So I was not made of that fabric. 

Nursy - 2005

Surgeon - Ooops - 2005



But I could still make surgeons and nurses myself, right?? In 2005, the year I started my business, I made several of these little dolls. Since then I have made others, who looked like escaped of a psychiatric wards more everything else. 

These last days, I made another one. I am really happy how she turned out and I think I'll make more. Wool felt is such a great material to work with, way more than the poly one. That little doll is a gift for one of my most loyal customer who I also consider as a friend. I know you are not supposed to mix friendship and money and business. But eh, that's life and I prefer to have customer friends - or the opposite - than no friends at all, or no customers at all!

I think right now, with the health care debate, which shouldn't be one at all, and all the awful "voices" coming from the right wing "fringe", this is more than time for US people to get a decent health care system. Unfortunately it is looking like it will be a watered down one. "Always a beginning" I've heard on NPR but do people who are waiting for life or death treatments can accept "just a beginning"?


Cerise - For Sheri - 2009


Now for something totally different: to my surprise, I discovered yesterday the wonderful Erika Jurney, featured my work on Try Handmade!! I am really proud, I love her choices and I love her site. This is great all around and high top quality feature makers.






No comments: